Friday, April 11, 2014

Guardians of the Gardens?

Hey there, some of my friends know, but most don't, that I now have a couple of dogs.  Here are some pictures:

When we first found them
Sparrow




Sweet Pea

Rough Housing




























We found them up the road a couple of months back.  They were super friendly, and well behaved so we looked around for some possible owners.  But they were out in the middle of nowhere, with the closest house about 500 yards away, and nobody seemed to know anything about them.  All we could find out was that the spot where we found them was a well used dump site for unwanted animals.  So, we've adopted them.  They both had the same black spot on their tail, though Sparrow's has since disappeared.  So we believe they are brother and sister.  We named them Sparrow (brother) and Sweet Pea (sister).  They are growing like weeds and eating us out of house and home.  They eat a ridiculous amount of food, but look healthy.  We will be taking them to the vet sometime soon to be responsible pet owners and have them fixed.  At that time, we will also get them an overall check up.
           They are smart, well behaved, and very playful.  They are always rough housing with one another and get pretty rough, but then you'll find them sleeping right next to each other.  We built them a dog house that they refuse to use, haha.  It was a quick job, and has a crooked roof but it was fun to build.  I'll have to devise something better for them this summer, after I build my duck pen.  I'm hoping that they will protect the ducks, and at least chase the deer out of the yard and garden.  We will see.  The early training efforts have seen me running through the yard barking at deer while they sit and watch...needless to say, there is work to be done.  Haha.
            Their personalities are very different.  Sparrow initiates the play, but Sweet Pea seems to be the one that ends it.  Sparrow will follow you everywhere while Sweet Pea does her own thing, but when you kneel to pet them, Sweet Pea is the one that's trying to climb into your lap.  It has been a long time since I've had a dog, and these two are very awesome so far.   They seem to be proper farm dogs.  I'm excited to have them, though my cat is decidedly against it.

Always Hope and Never Die
John Anthony

1 comment:

  1. If you changed the name to "Matt" the same could be said of his eating habits...

    They look like cool dogs! I wish that I could join them to witness your training efforts. I have never heard you bark before. I also hope that they don't decide that the ducks look tasty. :-) Rock on, Farmer John!

    ReplyDelete